Friday, January 1, 2010

My 2010 resolution


I hadn't made any New Year's resolutions for a few years because I really had more good intentions than fortitude.  For me, resolutions were more like empty promises than anything else.  And who needs those?

Last year, an unprovoked resolution popped into my head:  I resolved not to turn down any more invitations.  This was a different type of resolution -- no deprivation, just enrichment.  For such a simple thing, it's made a huge difference in my life.  I am a much happier person today than I was on January 1, 2009. 

For 2010, I tried to come up with a similar resolution -- just a very small habit to give myself more and deprive myself less.  And yesterday, it finally surfaced:

I resolve to eat MORE FOOD in 2010.
Work was incredibly busy this year.  I haven't been this busy or stressed at work since 1997.   So in 2009 I got into the habit of, "let me just finish this report and then I'll get something to eat."  But being very obsessive, I might refine that report for 6 hours.
I really didn't want to take the time to make a meal and then stop typing long enough to pick up a fork.   Never in my life have I treated my body so badly.  It's made me feel tired all the time and my metabolism is in the toilet.  I've also gained 15 lbs.  I have no energy to work out and I have no apetite.
My typical eating day looks like this:
  • Nurse a very large amount of iced coffee with a ton of cream from 8am to 12n00n.
  • Think that I should stop typing and get lunch until around 2 or 3 pm.
  • Wander downstairs (I have a home office) and grab a hunk of cheese from the refrigerator and run back upstairs.
  • Work till around 5pm.
  • Have a half a glass of red wine sometime after 6pm.
  • Think, "I should eat dinner," for another few hours.
  • Eat a bowl of cereal or another hunk of cheese.
  • Go to bed.
  • Wake up at 2am, feeling hungry (finally) and eat whatever is easy, like a bunch of cookies or another hunk of cheese.
On the road, it's basically whatever is sitting in the cool box at SBUX.

So in 2010, I am going to give myself the best food that I can afford.  I will keep good food in my refrigerator -- even if I am only home for two days at a time.  I'll start bringing my own food to the airport again and have my own feast on my tray table.  When I check in at the hotel -- even if it's very late -- I will order some food. Even if I'm only in the mood for cheesecake, I will eat.  And when I get up in the morning at home, I will eat yogurt and honey, even if I think honey has too many calories.
 

1 comment:

  1. Honey doesn't have too many calories. It's better for you than sugar. And if it's the only thing that gets you to eat yogurt, then there's nothing wrong with it. You only need about a teaspoon to make a bowl of yogurt taste great- that's 20 calories.

    ReplyDelete