Sunday, September 20, 2009

Entre Nous by Debra Ollivier


"Entre Nous" is another book about what we can learn from the French lifestyle and the virtues of trying to emulate it.  The author, Debra Ollivier lived in France for many years and raised her children there.  Although I consider this book an ideal mix of advice, history and the arts, I was aware throughout that the women to which she referred were all quite well off.  I do wonder about the differences between the French women with status and money vs. the French women who are just making their living like the rest of us.

I bought this book on an impulse and it stayed on my shelf for weeks.  I even thought of returning it.  But on another impulse, I threw it in my bag before leaving for the airport one day.  It was the day after my beloved beagle, Miles died and I didn't have the brain for anything rigorous.

I'm really glad that I brought it.  I found it a tremendous comfort to me.  It was, for some strange reason, the right book at the right time.  It made me realize that we are all too important to rush around for anyone or anything else.   French women don't give a damn and neither should you.  There are very few things in life that are *real* emergencies.  A possible loss of a loved one, a house burning down -- these are emergencies.  Paperwork is not, throwing plates on the table is not.  Even being late for a flight is not a *real* emergency.  Love yourself more.  Value yourself more.  Know that your life and your loves are more important than anything else.  Be with them with all of your heart and soul.  There is no need to worry about anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment